Have you ever wanted to learn the drums, but didn’t have the space to store a bulky drum kit? Or maybe the crazy amount of noise stopped your parents, landlord, or loved ones from letting you practice your passion? The very best electronic drum kits are the answer to many aspiring drummers wishes. With electronic drum…
GP Percussion B2 Bongos Feature Overview
- Made from hickory wood
- 6″ and 7″ drums with tunable heads
- Chrome hoops and hardware
- Tuning wrench included
After reviewing several bongos for beginners, we determined the the GP Percussion B2 bongos are a great choice for your first set of bongos. You may want to read our Tycoon Percussion Ritmo Bongos review before making a final purchasing decision.
Tycoon Percussion Ritmo Bongos Feature Overview
- Made from Siam Oak Wood
- 6″ and 7″ drums with water buffalo skin heads
- Black powder-coated hoops and hardware
- Tuning wrench included
The Tycoon Percussion Ritmo Bongos is the entry-level bongo from Tycoon Percussion aimed towards beginner and novice musicians looking for their first set of bongos.
After testing numerous bongos in this category, we can say that the Tycoon Ritmo bongos are the best bongos for beginners, hands down!
Union One Earth UB1 Bongo Feature Overview All Wood Shells 6″ and 7″ Natural Hides Chrome-plated tuning lugs Tuning key included The Union One Earth UB1 Bongos are a budget-priced set of bongos aimed towards beginner musicians. They use a different tuning method than most bongos in higher price ranges, and are one of the…
Learning a percussion instrument can be a very rewarding pursuit for you and your child. Many kids learn to play music better on percussion instruments because they tend to be more simple and less fragile.
Whereas something like learning the ukulele for a kid might be frustrating or difficult due to the discipline needed to form cords and sit still, a percussion instrument like the bongos will have kids moving around and getting their energy out!
Here’s a few reason why we love to recommend bongos as your kids first percussion instrument –
- Great for all kids – whether your kid has a lot of energy and really wants to thrash on some drums or if they’re more mild and like to play lightly, the bongos will work for them. The bongos can also adjust to any child’s skill level. Whether they’re very young and are just experiencing making music for the first time or a bit older and working on arranging beats into a rhythm, the bongos are perfect for kids.
- Extremely Durable – More than other musical instruments, the bongos are very durable. They don’t require numerous strings to keep in tune or much precision for starters, so not much can go wrong.
- Perfect for learning coordination and rhythm – these are key attributes to the successful development of children in a variety of areas even beyond music. Learning to coordinate both hands and keep a rhythm will greatly advance their development.
The bongos are beginner friendly percussion instrument typically played with the hands. You’ve certainly seen these being played at some point in your life as they’re the most popular portable percussion instrument.
As a quick note, if you’re looking to buy bongos for kids, head over to our best bongos for kids page to see some options that are better suited for the young ones.
The bongos consist of a set of two drums of different sizes, typically 6 inches and 7 inches, attached by a bridge between the two. They are typically played with the bigger drum on the right side of the musician.
The bongos were originated in Cuba sometime during the 1800’s, and are easily recognized by their high-pitched and varied beats. By striking different areas of the bongo and using different parts of your hands, you can produce a variety of beats.
Here’s a video demonstrating some of what’s possible with the bongos.